Governor’s Advisory Council on Disability Affairs
WHEREAS, the Governor’s Advisory Council n Disability Affairs was originally established by executive order to monitor state compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and to advise the Governor on the needs of individuals with disabilities and/or on other relative concerns;
WHEREAS, citizens of the State of Louisiana with disabilities have unique needs including, but not limited to, access to continued education concerning compliance with all disability rights laws;
WHEREAS, the State of Louisiana and its political subdivisions will strive to remove any barriers that may prohibit individuals with disabilities from living a full, integrated and active life, and will provide relative to accomplishing that goal; and
WHEREAS, it is in the best interests of the citizens of the State of Louisiana to continue the centralized and coordinated effort to further opportunities for persons with disabilities to enjoy full and equal access to lives of independence, productivity, and self-determination by serving the Louisiana citizens with disabilities through the continuance of the Governor’s Advisory Council on Disability Affairs.
NOW THEREFORE, I, JOHN BEL EDWARDS, Governor of the State of Louisiana, by virtue of the authority vested by the Constitution and laws of the State of Louisiana, do hereby order and direct as follows:
SECTION 1: The Governor’s Advisory Council on Disability Affairs (hereafter “Council”) is reestablished and recreated within the executive department, Office of the Governor, Office of Disability Affairs.
SECTION 2: The duties of the Council shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
A. Advising the Governor, through the Office of Disability Affairs, on issues of concern to the Louisiana citizens with disabilities;
B. Identifying the needs, issues, and solutions relative to persons with disabilities;
C. Assisting the Office of Disability Affairs, when requested, in the resolution of state disabilities issues; and
D. Providing education, communication, and networking services concerning disability issues and needs for all Louisiana citizens.
SECTION 3: On or before January 5, the Council shall submit to the Governor annual reports regarding the issues set forth in Section 2 of this Order.
SECTION 4: The Council shall be composed of a maximum of thirty-one (31) members who, unless otherwise specified, shall be appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
- The secretary of the Louisiana Workforce Commission, or the secretary’s designee;
- The secretary of the Department of Transportation and Development, or the secretary’s designee;
- The secretary of Department of Veterans Affairs, or the secretary’s designee;
- The secretary of Department of Children and Family Services, or the secretary’s designee;
- The assistant secretary of the Office of Aging and Adult Services, or the assistant secretary’s designee;
- The assistant secretary of the Office of Behavioral Health, or the assistant secretary’s designee;
- The assistant secretary of the Office for Citizens with Developmental Disabilities, or the assistant secretary’s designee;
- A representative of the Division of Special Populations in the Department of Education;
- A representative of ADA Enforcement of the Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal Public Safety Services;
- The executive director of the Governor’s Office of Elderly Affairs, or the director’s designee;
- The executive director of the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, or the director’s designee;
- The chair of the Developmental Disabilities Council, or the chair’s designee;
- The chair of the Louisiana Assistive Technology Access Network, or the chair’s designee;
- The chair of the Louisiana Rehabilitation Council, or the chair’s designee;
- The chair of the Statewide Independent Living Council, or the chair’s designee;
- The executive director of the Arc of Louisiana, or the executive director’s designee;
- The executive director of the Advocacy Center, or the executive director’s designee;
- One (1) member of the Louisiana State Senate, designated by the President of the Louisiana Senate;
- One (1) member of the Louisiana House of Representatives designated by the Speaker of the Louisiana House of Representatives;
- Twelve (12) at-large members with qualifications deemed appropriate by the Governor, which will include members with disabilities.
SECTION 5: The chair of the Council shall be appointed by the Governor from the membership of the Council. All other officers, if any, shall be elected by and from the membership of the Council.
SECTION 6: The Council shall meet at regularly scheduled intervals and at the call of the chair.
SECTION 7: Council members shall not receive additional compensation or a per diem from the Office of the Governor for serving on the Council.
Council members who are an employee or an elected public official of the state of Louisiana or a political subdivision of the state of Louisiana may seek reimbursement of travel expenses, in accordance with PPM 49, from their employing and/or elected department, agency and/or office.
Council members who are also a member of the Louisiana Legislature may seek a per diem from the Louisiana State Senate or House of Representatives, as appropriate, for their attendance.
SECTION 8: Support staff, facilities, and resources for the Council shall be provided by the Office of Disability Affairs, Office of the Governor.
SECTION 9: All departments, commissions, boards, offices, entities, agencies, and officers of the state of Louisiana, or any political subdivision thereof, are authorized and directed to cooperate with the Council in implementing the provisions of this Order.
SECTION 10: This Order is effective upon signature and shall continue in effect until amended, modified, terminated, or rescinded by the Governor, or terminated by operation of law.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have set my hand officially and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of Louisiana, at the Capitol, in the city of Baton Rouge, on this 7th day of April, 2016.
John Bel Edwards
Secretary of State