State Employee Pay Raise for Unclassified State Service
WHEREAS, unclassified state employees have not received a general increase since 1990; and
WHEREAS, Act 18of the 2007 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature appropriated funds for a one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500) per year general increase for employees in unclassified state service.
NOW THEREFORE I, KATHLEEN BABINEAUX BLANCO, Governor of the state of Louisiana, by virtue of the authority vested by the Constitution and laws of the state of Louisiana, do hereby order and direct as follows:
SECTION 1: Definitions:
Unless the context of this Order clearly indicates otherwise, the words and terms used in this Order shall be defined as follows:
A. "State service" means current employment in the executive branch of state government, including state supported schools, agencies and universities. To constitute state service, the service or employment must have been performed for a Louisiana public entity included in the state operating budget with the exception of employees of a system authorized by the Louisiana Constitution or legislative act to manage and supervise its own system.
B. "Unclassified state service" means those positions of state service as defined in Article X, Sections 2 and 42 of the Louisiana Constitution of 1974, which are not positions in the classified state service.
SECTION 2: Applicability:
A. Except as provided in Paragraph B of this Section, the rules and policies established by this Order shall be applicable to all full-time and part-time officers and employees in unclassified state service of the state of Louisiana.
B. The rules and policies established by this Order shall not be applicable to the following officers and employees in unclassified state service of the state of Louisiana:
1. Students and graduate assistants;
2. State employees who are employed by public entities and are paid entirely by revenues which are not appropriated in Acts 18 or 48 of the 2007 Regular Session; provided however, that nothing herein shall prohibit a public entity from implementing a pay increase for such state employee from available funds;
3. Faculty of public higher education institutions who, per the Board of Regents guidelines, are eligible for the Faculty Pay Raise provided in Act 18 of the 2007 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature;
4. Adjunct faculty of public higher education institutions;
5. Unclassified employees who will receive the Faculty Pay Raise, Teacher Pay Raise or Support Worker Pay Raise provided in Act 18 of the 2007 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature, including, but not limited to, employees of special schools as defined in Schedule 19 of Act 18 of the 2007 Regular Session; University Laboratory Schools and Department of Public Safety and Corrections;
6. Intermittent employees being those employees employed in state service who are not hired to work on a regularly scheduled basis;
7. Temporary employees in the unclassified service of the executive branch whose employment is not reasonably expected to exceed one (1) year or twelve (12) consecutive calendar months;
8. Seasonal employees being those individuals employed on a non-continuous basis for a recognized peak work load project;
9. Elected local or statewide officials;
10. Unclassified employees of Registrars of Voters who will receive increases as a result of Act 254 of the 2007 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature; and
11. Appointed members of state boards and commissions, whose compensation is established in the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950.
SECTION 3: Disbursement
The pay increase for employees in unclassified state service who satisfy the criteria established in Section 2(A) of this Order shall be applied at the rate of seventy-two cents (72¢) per hour.
SECTION 4: Compliance
All departments, agencies, and officers and employees of the state, or any political subdivision thereof within the executive branch of state government effected by this Order shall comply with, be guided by, and cooperate in the implementation of the provisions of this Order.
SECTION 5: Effective Date
The provisions of this Order shall be effective July 1, 2007 and shall remain in effect until amended, modified, terminated, or rescinded by the governor, or terminated by operation of law.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have set my hand officially and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of Louisiana, at the Capitol, in the city of Baton Rouge, on this 18th day of July, 2007.
Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
Secretary of State